Tuesday 2 March 2010

Wedding Photography Prices: Why Wedding Photos Can Be Expensive

Hello everyone!

This is a question that many couples (and their parents) ask. Especially being an Asian wedding photographer I get told by many clients' parents that my price 'for the day' is too much (mostly because Mr X can do it cheaper). Well, in all honesty Mr X probably can do it cheaper and most likely the photos will look significantly cheaper too. That isnt a bad thing as long as you are ok with it. After all you do get what you pay for and the more higher up the scale you go, the better the images of your wedding.

Anyone can pick up a camera and try to take some pictures, in fact many people now are buying DSLRs and playing photographer (thats how I started!). The key difference between average Joe, Mr X and Mr Professional is the level of expertise, training, technical knowledge and equally important the quality of equipment used. My lenses, as with all the best photographers, are from the professional high end range, they cost over £1000 a peice, some are closer to £2000. The camera itself costs a considerable amount too and I don't skimp out on inferior products or equipment because its 'cheaper'. And being the gadget/technical geek that I am, I know my equipment inside out - every button and every function. That means in any given situation I instinctively know what settings to use in order to produce the type of image I have in my mind. I stay away from harsh flash-shadows and try to gently illuminate the spaces around me whilst keeping all the ambient light around. (eg, pic below). 

A term I learnt from a photojournalist friend is "all the gear, no idea" and that kind of covers it for a lot of inexperienced photographers out there. Using someone who is less experienced might result in photos that you just don't want, dont like, or photos that are just unusable. So it is very important the photographer on your day is competent and has experience covering the type of wedding you are having. 

Another aspect of photography that many people overlook is the post processing. I spend hours, days even weeks post processing images to get the very best out of them. It can be the difference between a good shot and an excellent photo. All the best photographers utilise an element of post processing and some are professionals at that in their own right. Designing an album takes time too and putting in that extra effort can provide my clients with an incredible experience when they look back at their wedding day.  

I could go on for ages but time is against me - I have some designing to do so... For an explanation as to why wedding photos can be expensive, this is an excellent article written by an excellent wedding photographer, Randolph Quan. I would be doing him an injustice by writing my own article on it, so here is the link! http://randolphquan.com/blog/wedding-photography-prices-why-wedding-photos-can-be-expensive/

**Brides to be**
My advice is to budget 10% of your total wedding cost toward photography/videography and hire a professional (separate photographer and videographer is usually better too). Follow that advice and I guarantee you will have photos that will make you smile over and over again. :)

Sundeep Osahn

Posted via email from SunnyPhotography

No comments: